How we can help you
If you are an employee, agency worker, casual or contract worker, we can assist you in the following areas:
- Unfair dismissal;
- Maternity or parental rights
- Health and safety, changes in working hours and conditions;
- Unpaid wages;
- Any other employment related matter.
What to expect from us
We offer an initial appointment free of charge to find out about your employment law problem.
The kinds of questions people normally ask us include:
- Do I need a contract of employment?
- What is the minimum I can expect to be paid by my employer?
- Can I be dismissed when I am on sick leave?
- Can I claim compensation if I have been unfairly dismissed?
- What should I do if I have been discriminated against at work?
- What should I do if I am being bullied or harassed at work?
- What are my rights if I work on a part-time or fixed term contract?
- What rights do I have at work if I’m pregnant and after I’ve had a baby?
*If you need further assistance (including representing you at a tribunal hearing) after we have advised you at your initial appointment, we will undertake your case on either a fixed fee or Damages Based Agreement (DBA) basis (see below).*
What we expect from you
- Once you instruct us to represent you and assist you with your case, we ask that you remain contactable throughout the period in which we represent you.
- We will provide you with a detailed client care letter containing our terms and conditions for you to agree and sign.
- Once we’ve advised you on the relevant law and procedure, we will guide you through what kind of evidence you need to obtain to help you build your case. We ask that you provide this evidence in a timely manner.
What is a Damages Based Agreement? (DBA)
- A DBA is an agreement between the lawyer and client under which an agreement is made that a percentage of sums recovered in any claim will be taken by the lawyer.
- In terms of your engagement with the Law Centre, it essentially enables us to take on work on your behalf on a “no win, no fee” basis.
- We will then recover a percentage of any damages awarded to you.
- DBAs have the advantage of enabling us to do work on your behalf without you paying a fee upfront.
- However, in some cases it make be more cost effective for you to enter into a fixed fee agreement with us.
- We can talk you through all the options and help you to find a way of working with us that works for you.
- As a charity, we do not make a profit. Any fees we charge are simply to cover our costs. Our advice to you will be based only on the details of your case.
We are also able to act as an independent legal adviser in the event that your employer proposes to terminate your employment by way of a ‘settlement agreement’. We could usually do this at no cost to you. Costs of preparing a settlement agreement are normally covered by the employer.
How to access our employment services
Every Wednesday between 10 am and 12pm. No appointment is necessary but please note that people are seen on a first-come, first-served basis and we may have to restrict numbers.
Every Monday between 10am and 12pm by calling us on 0207 284 6510.
Appointments are reserved for new and existing clients.